What Can Builders Do to Up Their Productivity?
Productivity Issues Are Long-Standing and Complex
One of this year’s “hot” topics has actually been a topic for a number of years — in 2017, for example, MarketWatch noted, “the construction industry has a chronic productivity problem.”
|Use Technology to Manage the Details|
The reasons are many and the impact is considerable on the global, national and local levels — as well as individual homebuilder profitability.
Technology Offers Help at the Builder Level!
Rather than looking at the issue globally, however, let’s focus on what you, as a homebuilder, construction manager or superintendent, can put your arms around to up your productivity — which will improvide profitability.
First, however, we’ll take note of a MarketWatch comment: there’s been an underinvestment, in the construction industry, in technology.
Homebuilding is the Sum of Many, Many Details
Yet, there are relatively inexpensive and highly effective digital solutions that will have an immediate impact on your business — as they’ll help you organize, manage, evaluate and report on the many details surrounding every job. For example, are you able to immediately answer these questions:
- Which of my vendors consistently meets my objectives for starting and completing a job on time? How can they access that schedule? What about when things change?
- Which vendor delivers work that meets my published standards and drawings? Do I have published standards? Are they readily accessible? How do vendors access the latest drawings?
- How much rework did my plumbing vendor have to do at the Estates community?
- Were all those homeowner roofing complaints related to this year’s heavy rain, manufacturing issues or poor installation?
- Are punch issues resolved prior to walkthrough? Do I have a way to keep track of the punch items from the walkthrough?
|Generate and Track Your Punch Items|
Portals, Dashboards, Reports: They’re Available & Will Up Your Game!
IBS2019 Before & After!